January 2023 not only marks the beginning of a new year, but a very important year for us at Joseph House.
Back in 2018, our first resident came “home.” Joseph House isn’t simply an organization or a halfway house but a home. It’s a one-story, with painted white walls, surrounded by roses, leopard plants, impatiens. Azaleas bunch together by the rock path that hug the outside of the house and wind through the fragrant gardenias, creating a small piece of paradise. It’s a home where sunlight floods in through the living room windows as if darkness were nothing but a thought.
Home is where you can sit at the table and dwell in safety. It’s where a community loves, repairs, and restores the lives of its residents. At home, our brothers can rest. At home home, our brothers can heal. At home, our brothers can regain their dignity.
Since the establishment of Joseph House, its house has been home to 11 residents. We have walked with our brothers to undo much of the negativity that has been experienced in prison and continue to accompany these men in order for them to rejoin our community and restore their individuality.
This year we celebrate five years of home and of restoration. This year we celebrate five years of community, saving each other one life at a time.
Joseph House since 2018
- May 20th, 2018 – Qwan, returns to society directly from solitary confinement and our mission of accompaniment begins.
- October 4th, 2018 – Joseph House is formed as a nonprofit on the Feast Day of St. Francis.
- May 20th, 2019 – Joe arrives at Joseph House.
- May 31st, 2019 – Bishop Bill interviewed by Crux about Joseph House.
- August, 2019 – Quintin begins college at TCC.
- November 7th, 2019 – Ron enters Joseph House as our first resident directly from prison.
- June, 2020 – Joseph House goes to the beach.
- February, 2021 – Gabriel and Dustin invited to speak at New York Encounter.
- March, 2021 – Rachel joins us as our mission coordinator, Social Worker.
- April, 2021 – Quintin transitions to independent living.
- October 30th, 2021 – Quintin marries Anastasia.
- January, 2022 – Lamaar starts his own business, Blue Landscaping, by enhancing our gardens.
- February, 2022 – Joseph House invited to meet with Bryan Stevenson in New York.
- May 1st, 2022 – Chad reunites with family and begins independent living.
- November, 2022 – Joe celebrates five years of freedom.
- December 13th, 2022 – Arthur is hired on full time as Kitchen Assistant cooking for Tallahassee’s homeless.
– By Hannah Katanic